Saturday, December 15, 2012

Flashes....


 

The other night I went out at eleven or so (we were up late anyway) and looked up.  During ten or so minutes, I must have seen about six or seven meteors.  I don’t know about you, but they kind of put things in perspective.  A bright light far away, sliding across the sky, no sound, just a few seconds of brilliant light, and then .....they are gone. 

And then we find out yesterday about the terrible tragedy in Connecticut.   It just defies any power of reason or common sense.  What possesses people to do things like that?  Like anybody else, I have no answers.  It is a terrible state our country has come to..  it goes far beyond “gun control”.  I have my opinions like everybody else, but obviously you can’t take away every gun, or issue guns to elementary school kids and their teachers, and who can pay for metal detectors and security guards at every door of every school in the country?  Maybe where we might focus energy is to try to identify these people before they feel they need to do things like this.  Services are being cut left and right, treatments are reduced, people fall through the cracks..

It sort of struck me that maybe the meteors and the children whose life was cut short have something in common..  they bring joy to all who see them, and then the light dies all too soon…

Keep them in your thoughts…

No comments: