Friday, December 7, 2012

Here come de judge!

old enough to remember that??
 
I was asked again this year be a judge for the annual charity fund raiser “chili cook-off” held in the hangar on base where I used to work.  I always enjoy doing it for a couple of reasons: number one, I get to try a bunch of different chili’s; and two: see a lot of the people that I worked with for many years.  So I drove back on base, retraced my usual path to the hangar and went into the judging room (which is the break room for the shop) to see eight containers (mostly Hamilton Beach oddly enough) of simmering chili.

 

There were two other judges besides myself so potential ties would be eliminated.  So we got the tools of the trade (water and crackers not pictured):



and tasted our way down the line.  Fortunately (for me), there were no “blow your head off” varieties, although a couple of them were the “sneaky hot” kind where 30 or 40 seconds after you tasted, you noticed that little tingling on the forehead, or warmth on the neck.  There was one “white” chili which I appreciated, but most (save one) were of the “normal” variety, beans, meat, tomatoes, some cut up chili peppers, pretty much what is expected as “chili”.

There was one pot (the“save one” pot mentioned above) that was very intriguing. It appeared to just be ground meat (beef?) with no sauce, no beans, no peppers, just kind of a pot of ground meat. I thought I got a little vinegar bite and aroma off it, but I wasn’t sure.  It was Number Two, and I would be interested in its origin.  It was very different.  It wasn’t my favorite but I do appreciate the originality.  Maybe it came from a family history or a special region or nationality.  Good for the person who had the gumption to bring such a unique concept.

Which brings me to my standard speech about “judging” this kind of thing.  Chili is one of those dishes like crab cakes or pizza which are pretty much subjective.  What you like in chili could be very spicy, no beans, and is very different from what I might prefer, say maybe less spice, shredded meat, more vegetables.  Who’s to say what is “best”? 

Anyway I appreciated being able to sample all the chili’s, the judges compared scores and a “winner” was announced later in the day.  Everybody benefited..It was great fun for me, and maybe they’ll let me participate again next year!!  I might suggest for next year that the person who makes the chili provide a little card with ingredients (not necessarily the recipe, but whether it is beef only, pork, venison, sausage; kidney, pinto, black beans; what type of pepper, etc.). 

Trendz

I “subscribe” to a few sources of “foodie” information that appear daily on my DROID. Culinary gems like Pizza Hut is creating a limited-edition fragrance to celebrate Pizza Hut Canada reaching 100,000 facebook fans; or that some 70% of restaurant patrons decide on dishes they can share with friends as a means of tasting more of what’s on the menu.  Stuff like that. Or, “Darden (conglomerate of some of our favorite chains like Olive Garden/Red Lobster/LongHorn, etc.) cuts 2013 outlook as sales fall”  Awww, too bad.. CEO Otis said..”our disappointing results for the quarter points to the need for bolder changes in the promotional approach at our three large brands”.   Can't wait to see what that results in....Anyway it's fun stuff to read, maybe I should pass along more things of interest.  Just kind of hate to be a clearing house..

And, sometimes other folks send me links or places to go to for other facts.  Got one the other day about the top 10 food and drink menu trends.  FWIW, here they are:

The top 10 food menu trends for 2013 are: locally sourced meats and seafood; locally grown produce; healthful kids' meals; environmental sustainability as a culinary theme; children's nutrition as a culinary theme; new cuts of meat (e.g. Denver steak, pork flat iron, teres major); hyper-local sourcing (e.g. restaurant gardens); gluten-free cuisine; sustainable seafood; and whole grain items in kids' meals.

The top 10 drink menu trends for 2013 are: onsite barrel-aged drinks; food-liquor/cocktail pairings; culinary cocktails (e.g. savory, fresh ingredients); micro-distilled/artisan liquor; locally produced spirits; locally sourced fruit/berries/produce; beer sommeliers/Cicerones; regional signature cocktails; beer-based cocktails; and locally produced beer.

Notice the liberal use of the word “local”?? it’s what it is about!!  BUY LOCAL

Friday Fun

And lastly just for a chuckle, this morning  I ran across this 50 gallon drum of…… ??  by a parking lot


I guess we won’t have to worry about how we should
DFD

First Friday in Leonardtown tonight…  last one of the YEAR!! A sobering thought..

 

No comments: