Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fried Oysters

A couple of civic related meetings late yesterday afternoon afforded an unexpected opportunity to sample some food (it's always about the food).

First meeting was called at Blue Wind Gourmet (hey - meeting and wine, how can you beat that?). I think I have mentioned that they are instituting some "happy hour" (45 minute) wine education on Mondays and cooking demos on Tuesdays. Our meeting ran almost until the starting time of the cooking stuff and we got a chance to preview some of the evenings fare, various legumes. Three little cups of "soup" which were apparently later turned in to sauces courtesy of a blender were sampled. One each from cannelloni beans, black beans, and lentils were tried. All were good and made me wish I could have stayed, but no, duty called and off to the next meeting at Clarke's Landing.

Although it was pretty much early bird hour, we decided to have food whilst discussing worldly local (cute, eh?) matters. I have not been at Clarke's since the summer when it gave me reason for continued recommendations and cause to leave it "on the list". We were seated in the inside dining area at a table affording some room for our paperwork. Menus and the rolled up paper napkin with tableware awaited, and then the little dish of strange (but tasty Neufchatel?) dip and basket of plastic wrapped crackers was delivered along with the dreaded "Hi, I'm.taking care of you".

Specials were enunciated from notes, drink orders taken and off she went to assure we were taken care of. After some more business discussions. we turned to the menus. I think they have been re-tooled, it's still a tri-fold laminated affair, but maybe graphically a little slicker and bluer than my always questionable memory recalled. I also don't recall seeing the time honored "Crab Muffin" although a quick web search still showed it. What I am fairly certain of is that the prices have also been re-tooled as I couldn't find many mains under twenty bucks. Anyway crab cakes (market price) were ordered along with the special of bourbon marinated steak and I took the fried oyster special. Selecting the southern Maryland standard "two sides" is always confusing, but everything was finally put in place.

More work, then my (side one) side salad arrived and it was good enough, although whole red onion rings always pose some eating challenges. However, I will give continued marks for their ample portion of a pretty tasty blue cheese dressing. More business, and the entrees arrived soon there after (dining room still pretty empty). As readers will recall, lately I have somehow have been exposed to Bailey's fried oysters fairly often and when the Clarke's version arrived I wished I could have switched. Instead of a three dimensional crispy oyster I was presented with items that looked more like McNuggets. Flat, tear shaped (I think) oysters coated in a dull brown gummy coating. The first taste brought to mind old, used, fishy fry oil with a slightly tangy taste. The oyster (?) had completely given up any liquid, and had relaxed into that flat teardrop form leaving only tough stuff to chew. Had I not been in a meeting atmosphere I would have sent it back. Really. Side two of fries were hot and crispy which made me wish the oysters followed suit. Oh, the bourbon marinated rib eye steak was nibbled at and then pretty much left intact. The person taking care of us inquired if it was not to her liking, and the reply of "it was pretty tough" was met with "I'll tell the chef". There in fact was indeed a chance to "take care
of us", but no further feedback was given nor was it removed from the check.

The diner decided to take it home, as "the dog will like it". So, I will try to check again before any change in recommendation is levied, but this evening was a poor offering. A return visit will be done out of necessity, not choice.

DFD

No comments: