Monday, February 23, 2009

With Apologies to Mr. Dickens

(Thursday 19 February) was the best of days, it was the worst of days, it was a day of wisdom, it was a day of foolishness, and then a day to remember. It started out with a trip to the donut vendor at O'dark thirty, perhaps my last visit at least to supply a hungry test team with the dose of sugar to start their day. I have become quite friendly with the owner of the shop, and have learned much about Indian culture and food from him. So it was with some sorrow on both our parts that we realized things would change. He is a very warm and caring person. I hope to be able to visit him in retirement. Anyway, armed with the usual 4 dozen sinkers, I headed for the base with pounding head (the "worst of days" part - we had "dinner out" the previous evening). Opened the door of "the trailers", turned on the lights, got the hallowed tray, and arranged the sugary disks in their usual attractive display (presentation is everything, even with a lowly donut). One chore accomplished and was looking forward to start the "best" part.


Morning meetings were endured, and then I headed north to keep a lucky appointment with an eye-doc to update the specs before, well, um, okay, company benefits ceased. Arrived in Waldorf, located said optometrist's office only to find "closed until 2pm for lunch" on the door. After a ten minute wait in the chill was admitted and checked in and had a seat. Was interested to note that the usual "doctor's office" magazines of 5 years ago were mostly in large print editions. Nice touch. Anyway, was finally taken back to the office where the astounding machine that produces the "is two better than one?" dance occurs till you finally settle on "okay, i guess that works". Then some drops were produced with "This will dilate your pupils for your exam". Hey! hold it lady! I have a function this evening (best of days) for which I need to be able to see. Aaaah, no problem, couple of hours, you'll be normal. Okay fine, so settled onto the group (nothing) bench (not Arlo's) and watched some very nice prints dissolve into blurriness. Finally the doc saw me, informed me I had fledgling cataracts (see you in a year, buddy). and out I go.

Upon exiting the office, I immediately knew I was in trouble (you'll be able to drive, just can't read a damn thing) when the sunlight almost brought me to my knees. I will spare you the details of the drive back to "the park", but it took quite the concentration (day of foolishness). I have never, never, experimented with LSD, but I think I came close. Gee! Look at those halos! (worst of days again).

After a quick change of duds to Dress For Dinner, MFO and I attended a retirement dinner in my honor (imagine that), hosted by the local test team. I must have attended (a lot) of these, but when it's actually for you, it somehow transcends skepticism and curmudgeonly comments. I was very touched by the fact that people would actually come out for me. The proper amount of roasting (who needs a Chia Homer?) was coupled with some very meaningful gifts for me. It was nice to share the evening with people who i have lived with almost more than MFO. It will be hard to leave them, they are almost family. It was the day to remember. I cannot thank you enough.

No comments: