Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Special Remedial Edition and Event Notice..



Well, in the last posting about Le Refuge, I mentioned a couple of times about “getting old”; another feature of same is the loss of memory (and I can’t remember the other..)

Anyway I was taken to task (by MFO) for failing to include notice a neat event that will take place tonight over in Leonardtown.  I give people stuff for late notices, and this certainly qualifies, but maybe better than no notice at all.

Dr. Ralph Eshelman is a nationally known historian who has written many books on history and cultural resource management.  We are lucky to have him living in our area, and even more lucky that he will be speaking tonight on “Steamboats and Wharves on the Patuxent River”.  I believe it will cover the late 19th and early 20th century when steam power gave way to other forms of aquatic propulsion. 


His talk will begin at 6:30 in the “Commissioners Building” which I believe also goes by the “Chesapeake Building”.  It’s the newer of the two where the Board has lived lately.  I have heard him speak before, and it’s worth going out for.  It is presented by the St. Mary’s County Historical Preservation Commission and is free and open to the public (as they say).  Since I am fairly well acquainted with the chairperson of said Commission, I’ll be there..

Unsolicited feeder comment:  given the start time, the question is, when do you

DFD?  before or after???

No comments: