Saturday, April 5, 2014

Subs of Fire


(all words today!! no pictures)

You might remember that I used to rant about the “reviews” of local restaurants that routinely appeared in Friday's weekend insert of local newspaper.  It did lead to meeting the author of those pieces who turned out to be a pretty nice guy. And (with his help) I did finally realize that “review” was not the correct word for the piece, maybe something more like: “infopiece”; or to be more snarky, free (?) advertising.   Formula was to basically talk a little about the owner(s), sort of highlight the menu and pricing, include a picture of something, and invariably have positive reports about the reporter’s experience.  He eventually left for new horizons, and since then the volume of “reviews” has drastically decreased.

Well, last Friday’s weekend insert contains a similar piece about the new Firehouse Subs recently opened in part of a carpet store on the Route 235 raceway.  One thing about the previous articles that I did appreciate was that he never wrote about a box or chain store.  It was always an independent, which I applaud.  Well, I think they may have abandoned that policy with the latest entry about Firehouse.  That of course brings up the dialog of what is a chain and what is an independent restaurant. A few thoughts:  “How many stores do you have?”  Firehouse boasts “over 700 locations and counting”; “are they local?” a map of the US shows a pushpin for each one, heavily populated east of the Mississippi, but quite a few on the other side as well;  “Where is your headquarters?”  Firehouse is located in Jacksonville, FL.  Given all that, I would think that one could make a strong case that they are indeed a “chain” with local franchisees.  Well, then why are we now reading about what i would consider a Chain restaurant

Perhaps it has something to do with the thing that distinguishes this particular chain from the myriad of other sandwich outlets (Subway, Potbelly, Quizno’s, Jimmy John’s – hey! We don’t have one of those…Yet) is that they want you to know that it was “Founded by Firemen”, which the other's can't claim.  Subway: Founded by Businessmen!  

And, I may have this mentioned before, I’m not sure of the relation of firemen and food.  There used to be the folklore that they are good cooks because they have a lot of time on their hands between fires.  Even if true, I'm not sure that applies anymore in the era of volunteers. The story says our owners came from the construction business.

While I have never eaten in any of those other sandwich chains, (well, okay I have had a tuna sub at Subway on occasion) I suppose the quality of the food could be a discriminator.  I notice in the latest article (that started all of this) reports that they steam their meat.  I guess that might be unique.. A quote from one of the owners: “…with the steaming process it really brings out the amazing flavor of the meat. And with fresh produce, it makes an amazing sandwich”.  By the way, that word “amazing” in relation to food is right on the cusp of being added to my list, so using it twice is a bit much for me.  I seldom find food “amazing”.  I guess you would have to try one to see if steaming meat has any effect.

So I guess the question that arises in my mind is: “should I patronize them in preference to other choices just because they tout their allegiance to firemen?”.  I did do some poking around their site and didn’t see anything about direct support of fire people. They do have a community foundation, but community giving is available at all those others as well.  Your money, your choice.  So anyway, as I say, pick your spot for your personal reasons, but there are plenty of other real independent sandwich outlets around.  And I guess for sandwiches, I will back off a bit on


DFD

No comments: