Monday, May 10, 2010

Down a Notch ?

As fate would have it, the day after my enjoyable journey through the time machine to Courtney’s, I had occasion to (re) visit St. James Pub. I meet there irregularly with some old cronies (“old” as in length of association, not age) for lunch and this was our first opportunity this year. Of course alert readers remember that I have always liked that place, it being “just right”. In all candor and honesty, I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the latest visit. Of course nothing has changed physically, and that part remains in the Just Right category, but I was a somewhat unhappy with the whole experience (aah, that word).

The servers seemed hurried and inattentive, but I will give them that the place was packed by the time we all assembled. The white board had the specials o’the day, one (no. 4) being a grilled ham and cheese, chips, and a cup of (Chicken/Rice) soup. Sort of tweaked by the dandy one observed at Courntey's, I opted for that, as did one other at the table and the remaining one chose the fish and chips.

Time dragged, and glasses remained unfilled (I didn’t remember that). Eventually our two sandwiches arrived, the grilled sandwich with fries. “Here’s your Rubens”… “ummm…. we ordered the grilled ham and cheese. Her fingers pried up the top slice of bread, peeked in and gave us a “Oh yeah, that’s what they are all right”, and plopped them down in front of us. A little bit later the fish arrived, and it was as previous editions had been. I asked her about the fact that the sandwich sides had morphed from chips and soup to fries. “Hmmm” was the reply. “I guess that since the grilled H&C is normally served with fries, it fooled the kitchen”. Turned on the heel and left. Not that the fries were bad (just the same), but gosh, not what the menu said with no apology. And, the sandwich was in fact constructed of a series of rolled up luncheon meat ham slices, not the carved of yesterday. Had I not seen that, I most likely would have been satisfied.

Just a point in time…

A bit of buzz

Speaking of standing still in time, it appears that all memories of the legendary “Evans” on St. George’s Island have been permanently locked in the memory vault. After a hesitant re-kindling a few years ago it has finally passed. In its place is/will be the Island Bar and Grill, a totally new enterprise. The word is that Leo Dilling, recently of Corbels, will be in the kitchen. All good news. Don't know about opening...stay tuned.

Arizona Pizza in Leonardtown will be changing its name to “Rustic River Bar and Grill”.

And, the new occupant of the old Willows will be the “Willows Bar and Grill

“Bar and Grill” sure seems popular…

Who knows about

DFD

No comments: