Monday, May 31, 2010

End of Easton's Eating

A little unexpected disruption in the schedule has delayed the conclusion of the Eastern Shore report, so we need to at least wrap up the dining side. I’ll try to be brief (tough for the Feeder!)

Between the lovely meals at Out of the Fire and Bartlett Pear Inn, I passed on the opportunity to revisit Scossa for lunch when I heard that the Preservation folks were gathering there for a luncheon. No sense ruining a good memory by taking a chance on a stressed kitchen. Instead, I took a thought from our friend who suggested Tilghman Island Inn. A quick review of their web site made it seem an attractive choice. So I manned up the Momster and did a lovely drive through St. Michaels, and out into the “country” past large plantation type houses and farms on or near the ever present water. Good thing I had the Droid GPS or I wouldn’t have found it. It is just on “the island’, tucked on a little unmarked side street. I had expected a gracious waterside resort (Inn at Perry Cabin style), but upon approaching I had to check the signage to make sure I was at the right place.



The parking lot was deserted, and it is relatively unkempt (maybe too early in the season?) and almost had a closed look about it. I finally entered through the unassuming front door, into a little “reception” area, unoccupied. I continued through that to the large bar area where a couple of ladies were busying themselves with packaging utensils or something. There was nobody else to be seen. Hello? Hello. Are you open for lunch? Yes sir, right this way. I was led up a couple of steps into another dining area with a view of the little channel out to the river, and offered “the best table in the house” one in a corner with glass on both sides. Being the only occupied table in a restaurant is always a bit daunting, especially if one is dining alone. Eventually one of the ladies arrived with a menu. No speeches, but a perfunctory delivery of the menu and remarking that soup of the day was a tilapia chowder, and special sandwich was a crab cake. Would I like a drink? Well, as a matter of fact I’d like a martini on the rocks. Gin preference? Tanqueray. Disappears. Finally I hear ice clinking, and a little while later I was delivered what she must have considered a martini on the rocks. It was in a classic martini “up” glass, and using my pinky finger I measured it as tip to first knuckle in diameter at the top. That’s about two and a half to three inches. And, on top of that it contained about 3 or 4 cubes of ice. Engineers will be quick to figure that a conical glass that measures 3 inches across, filled with largish ice cubes would not leave very much room for liquid. Correct o mathematical genius! I swear to goodness that there were maybe three or four sips, with the fourth diluted by the ice. I paid $8.50 for that.

Back to brevity…I ended up ordering the chowder and the crab cake. I hasked if I could have a cup of it, but no, although she’d see if I could get a small bowl. Meanwhile another couple came in and was seated right next to me. They were an elderly couple and had gotten “lost” and found the place. We did chat a bit.

More Brevity…although the service remained “darn, I guess I have to wait on this guy” the food belied it’s surroundings. The chowder was good and creamy with onions, potatoes, and although a bit shy on volume, the tilapia was tasty. I also think the crab cake was excellent, no hint of iodine, just sweet crab meat and little filler. It came with Sysco fries (remember those trucks?) and a little tub of tartar sauce. Usually I don’t use the tartar sauce, but I sampled it and found it to be home made, with a lemony creamy sauce and little capers. Quite nice. While I was eating I was treated to a continual stream of ingoing and outgoing boat traffic. My total bill for the Martini, the (full price) small bowl of soup, the crab cake, and a draft Anchor Steam was $37.58.

So, what do you think? I would go back again, but certainly for dinner, maybe in high season, and wish for more enthusiastic service, and, well maybe a properly made martini (don't know how the drink test would have fared).

The next morning, we eschewed breakfast in the Tidewater Inn and went across the parking lot behind to Darnell’s Grill which opened at 7:30. Apparently been there forever, famous for their ribs and chicken. Apparently not for their breakfasts. We arrived about 7:25 and seated ourselves in a relatively steamy front room with black and white checkered flooring, lineoleum tables, but upholstered chairs. Eventually a large lady appeared from the back room, dressed in chef’s blacks (well worn) and a greasy apron. The menus were on the tables. She said “Hi I’m Flo, I’ll be taking care of you, serving you AND cooking your food!” All laughed. Apparently the regular server had not arrived and she had double duty. Eventually a more affable person appeared and took over the front of the house. Brevity… the food was, well, not good. My “up” eggs were stone cold yolks on top of barely congealed whites, although MFO’s “over easy” were more edible. The “home fries’ were soggy, greasy, gray lumps. Maybe the grill wasn’t hot yet. Anyway, ribs and chickens might be good (they’ve kept them going a long time!), but I’d pass on breakfast. At least at 7:30.

That being our last day, we headed back after the morning sessions, and stopped at “The Narrows” on Kent Island. I truthfully don’t know much about the place or how long it’s been there. Given the construction, it must not be too long, and the “our history” tab on the web page says absolutely nothing about their history. Large, typical waterfront big volume place. Our friend said they had great crab soup. Despite a packed parking lot we were seated immediately at a pleasant little table. Next to us was a party of ten or so who were celebrating their (50th?) high school class reunion. Reminded us of ours. They were having a good time. The server was pleasant, efficient, and enthusiastic. Brevity…. I’ll spare any description of the menu, it has everything you would expect at a waterfront situation. We all ordered a cup of the crab soup, and indeed it was very good. Creamy rich with butter, full of crab, and they offer a little pitcher of Sherry, a nice touch. I had the crab cake, MFO a “crab tart”, and the third order was for Crab Imperial (called “Imperial Twins” on the menu. The “twins” were sort of a ”benedict” thing, with English muffins a tomato slice and crab under cheddar. The Tart was basically a flatbread with crab, spinach, tomato, and provolone cheese. My crab cake was very good, again light on anything but crab. We also chose sides of fried green tomatoes, battered and fried. Mine was a bit too fried and a bit acidic. Our friend said she has had better versions previously. Typical bring a friend to lunch stuff…Anyway, probably worth a stop if time permits.

So ended the culinary side of Easton. I will not get into “best”, but Bartlett Pear Inn was certainly a wonderful meal with exceptional touches, with Out of the Fire also good, but not at that level(although a different experience, really). Tilghman Island Inn probably deserves another look see, you would do well stopping at the Narrows on your return. I would have like to tried Mason’s. Ah well, a reason to return. And I would repeat the Gray Goose Dirty Martini enjoyed on the lanai at the Tidewater Inn, people watching at it’s best.

One more edition – hopefully short, plus a nice spot discovered in Alexandria..

Please remember to

DFD

No comments: