Saturday, May 8, 2010

Time Standing Still...

Quite often when visiting historical sites, the patter usually includes a phrase like: “step back in time to…..”. Well, sometimes I look at things the other way around. There are places and things that reamain frozen in time, while we have marched forward.. They stay, we move on. Such would be the case with



It’s a funny thing about “waterfront” dining around here. Some places (usually associated with marinas) have (or tried to) stay the same, while some have for various reasons renovated, or gone “modern”. Restaurants like the venerable Spinnakers, once a cute little house like place, went for the upscale approach with a big new building and has had varying success. The legendary Evans is still evolving (see note below). But tucked down in Ridge at the end of Wynne Road, Courtney’s is still the same (as memory recalls) as long as I have been coming out here.

I jumped at the chance to join a friend there for lunch last week. As it happened, I arrived first. The place is still pretty much a working marina with all the “stuff” sitting around



Including some interesting modifications of boat trailers



It being around noon, there were plenty of customers inside the building



I was coming from my “work” and so I was pretty much DFW, as were some of the people inside I observed through the glass, except their work was honest work and their dress reflected that. So, I was a little more “dressy” than the average customer. Since I arrived first, I wandered around in front of the place taking several shots with my spiffy camera gear.. Pretty soon, an elderly gentleman in a “Courtney’s” tee shirt and ball cap sort of wandered out and finally approached me as I was changing lenses. Uh oh, I thought.. He sort of looked me up and down (no doubt admiring my clothing) and then saw the (Historic St. Mary’s City) license plate on the fluttermobile, and said “What’s HSM?”. Upon hearing what the acronym stood for, he seemed satisfied and went back inside. A few minutes later my companion arrived, and we followed inside. Bam! time travel! The small little bar where you enter is still there, walls covered with faded photos, calendars, drawings, newspaper clips and so on, a sort of disheveled back bar with various bottles of distilled spirits scattered on it, one small table and the entrance to the kitchen.

We proceeded to the dining area, complete with linoleum topped tables, dark paneling on the walls, more pictures and clips on the walls, and against the far wall the “Salad bar”. It’s one of those stainless steel things on wheels with a little clear plastic “bonnet” so you can bump your head trying to see what’s in the back row of containers. There were maybe 5 tables occupied with one group of about ten at one. We selected a table near the window and sat down. Eventually the same gentleman who seemed interested in what I was doing outside came over and gave us silverware (wrapped in napkins with a green tape closure) and menus, and silently walked away. No canned speeches here. The menu was (of course) plastic laminated and had all those things you expect and remember from such a place. Various varieties of (red plastic) seafood baskets; appetizers (mostly fried); “plates” of various things; crab cakes and sandwiches; the “seafood bonanza” (or whatever it was called), etc. For the “fish” selection, you could pick your variety of piscine from Rock to Croaker and several others (I HAVE to remember to always take the pad) although I'm pretty sure Copper River Salmon wasn't one of them.

Anyway, after peeking at the dishes slowly emanating from the kitchen, I pretty much decided the fried fish looked good. The crab cake (sandwich) I saw was more like a patty. So eventually he came back to the table and jarred us from our conversation, and we had to confess we weren’t ready. He informed us at this point we were 7th in line, information I’m not sure what we were supposed to do with. “Well, can I get you something to drink?”. It being a warm afternoon, I decided I would have a beer (as had many of the local folk). What’s on tap? (Stupid question number one). Nothing-- all we have are bottles. In deference to the time of day I thought a “light” beer would be warranted, so I said I’d like a Miller Lite. At this point he stopped jotting on his little pad, looked up, staring at me and said “Humph, I had you figured for a Yuengling man”. I don’t think I took it as a compliment….

When it came time to order we had another little skirmish, we had decided to split an order of Shoestring Fries, but fries came with mine, and chips didn’t, so we shut up. Anyway, I finally ordered the (fried) Rockfish Plate, and my companion a grilled ham and cheese. Much time goes by, and eventually the food was delivered. I have to admit it was probably the best fried fish (which I don’t order a lot) I’ve had. The coating was light yet crunchy and the fish tasted like it was just in from a swim. Portions were large for a lunch. My friend’s grilled ham and cheese was just that. Not “Grilled luncheon meat and cheese” it was made from real hunky carved ham (like Thompson’s Korner Kafe) and reportedly quite tasty. The sides were, well, sides. My fries were hot and crunchy albeit the source was probably tipped off by the fact that there was a Sysco calendar in the bar.

In reading over this (yes, dear friends, I do re-read before publishing) it almost sounds like it was a negative experience. Quite the contrary. I enjoyed every minute of it and the food was good. I would (and will) go back again. Remember we how much we like “just right” places? This is one. I’ll bet I could have had the same food and experience (well, maybe not the Sysco part) any time I would have gone there in the last 40, 50, 60 (?) years. They have stood still and we haven’t, but you can visit those decades any time you want...

And, okay, maybe at Courtney's it isn’t so important to

DFD

No comments: