Thursday, May 6, 2010

This and That day....

Just a few observations, notes, and stories….

Starting with a quick sports related observation…. I was watching the end of the golf tournament Sunday where Rory McIlroy destroyed the field in the final round, leaving Lefty (among others) in his wake, shooting a final round course record 62 (that's really good for you non-golfers). He was interviewed by an ecstatic David Feherty, a fellow Irish countryman. During the interview young Rory explained his phenomenal round by saying “I guess I was just in “the zone””. You often hear this term applied to exceptional performances in sports. Personally being quite inept in any form of sporting activity, I suspect I’ve never been in “the zone”. How do you know when you are? Do you black out and then wake up to find you won the tournament? Is there sort of a departure from reality and all external stimuli fade into grayness? You gotta wonder. Guess I’ll never know.

We were shopping the other day at Shoppers, and I was just sort of grazing the meat cases… Let’s see here, Pork Chops - $2.99/Lb; Ground Turkey $2.89/Lb; 90% Lean Hamburger - $3.69/Lb; Cornish Hens - $1.99/ Lb, and so forth. So imagine my surprise when I came upon a package of Tripe (previously frozen and thawed for your convenience) was $3.50 a pound! Wonder how much of that they sell. You must really want to have it. There’s some really odd stuff available in that store. Chicken feet, beaks, pig’s feet, smoked hocks and stuff.

In the interest of fairness (as loyal readers know the Feeder always is) I have to report the following incident related to me by a friend after visiting our new Olive Garden. Sort of on the spur of the moment, they decided to take a late Sunday lunch, sometime around 2 or so. The usual hoards of diners had slacked off so they got a table fairly easily. As they drove to the restaurant she decided she had a hankering for Lasagna, and by the time they were seated she was keen to order it. When the server arrived (with unreported greeting), and the order was taken, she was informed “we’re out”. What? Out. “That’s what they told me when I came into work.” Crestfallen, she settled for spaghetti and meatballs instead. About the time the dishes arrived at the table so did the floor manager who did the standard “How is everything?”. And was told in response the “lasagna story". “Well, that’s not true! we have some just out of the oven, I’ll go get you some.” Eventually an empty handed manager returned to the table with the story “it isn’t ready yet, sorry”. Oh well, so they tucked into the spaghetti. About half way through the dish, the chef appears at the table. I’m terribly sorry about that, but it’s ready now, and I’d be glad to replace your spaghetti. “Well, gosh, I’m half way through it, never mind.” Whereupon the chef said, “Okay, how about I buy your spaghetti and I give you a take home box of lasagna”. How about that?? Somewhere there is hope for civility and doing things right. Even in a chain there are humans who want to do the right thing. Talk.

And, it’s interesting about food. After the little piece about pimento and Duke’s, I was surprised how many people related those dishes to their childhood. “I grew up on that, I had so many little sandwiches of pimento on thin white bread”. Isn’t it amazing how much of our lives revolve around food? A small thing like a cheesy spread brings back pleasant memories of youth and life gone by. There is something wonderful about the stuff we put in our mouth. Savor it.

especially if you're
DFD

or, even if you're at home and not....

No comments: