Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Some Closing Remarks....

No, sorry it’s not what you think…

I’ve been mulling something over in my mind lately and a note I received last week in response to reporting the closing of the Old Field Inn has finally galvanized me to get this off my chest.

The note basically said “we had a crappy meal the last time we dined there, we would not go back”.

While I have always supported (and will continue to do so) independent restaurants rather than chains, there are two edges to that sword. Given the choice I will go to an independent every time, BUT….. that does not release them from their obligation to provide me with good service, good food, and a reason to come back. That is no secret to the restaurateurs, and most try hard to make that happen. That’s why they like constructive feedback on their efforts. They can’t fix what they don’t know about. Don’t get me wrong. I do not support continuing to go back to someplace after a mediocre experience only because it is not a chain. Let them know, and give them a chance. If it doesn’t get fixed, so be it … don’t return.

Perhaps Old Field closed because of more experiences like my friend had, I don’t know. If that’s true, so be it. As I’ve said before they can’t spread losses over multiple sites like the chains can. It’s a tough world out there.

Okay, thanks.

Other bites:

I have heard that Joann from Quality Street in Leonardtown will now also be associated with the JT Daugherty center after the departure of Kirk to the River’s Edge on the base. I tell ya, it’s a merry go round.

Ramblings:

We are hitting the road again this afternoon for Easton on the Eastern Shore. MFO is attending a conference there and the feeder will be tagging along. This time, we’ve secured reservations at a couple of restaurants we were unable to attend last trip with FOJTE.

Given the vagaries of internet access on the road I am not sure when the words will start flowing again… trusty camera and notebook are packed....reports to follow.

And you can be sure we will definitely be

DFD

No comments: